We constructed a Geodesic Dome in class. First, we made 3D structures using toothpicks and Plasticine to see which structure would be the strongest to use. We found that triangular structures worked best. We made lots of triangles using rolled newspaper and taped them together. We had to make sure that each one was the same length. We attached an oxygen supply to our Dome. We found out lots of fun facts about life on the moon!
Sixth class were busy this week designing and making their own electric quiz. They had learned about circuits last week and put that knowledge into practice to make their own quiz. Fourth class had the opportunity to have a go at the quiz!
For ‘Engineering Week 2019’, we have been learning about different types of engineers and their various roles.
After discovering some really interesting facts, we were tasked with an engineering challenge of our own!
We had to work as an engineer to design and construct a rubber band powered car.
We began by exploring our materials (cardboard, axles, wheels, elastic band, paper clip) and planning our design.
Then we moved onto the construction stage. This involved folding the cardboard into a box shape (also known as a chassis) and fitting the axles through the front and rear holes on the chassis. Next, we had to fit wheels to the end of each axel. Finally, we had to wrap the rubber band around the rear axle and then attach the rubber band to a fixed position on the front axle of the car.
Although we found it rather difficult to fit the rubber bands, we eventually managed to complete the design.
The final part of our challenge required us to test the rubber band car.
To do so ,we hand to wind up the real axle that was attached to the rubber band and then let it go. This caused the car to move forward.
When you wind up the car’s axle you stretch the rubber band and store potential energy. When you release it the rubber band starts to unwind, and the potential energy is converted to kinetic energy as the car is propelled forward.
This year our class entered the Intel Mini Scientist Competition and our group was lucky enough to be selected to go to the Regional Finals. Our group’s topic was hydraulics, more specifically hydraulic bridges. We chose this topic because last year two people from our
group went to the previous regional final and three other groups did hydraulic arms and we had an interest in the science behind hydraulics. We decided to investigate hydraulic bridges.
At first we found it very difficult to construct the bridge and came across quite a few problems but after a while we figured it out. In November three judges from Intel came in and judged all the classes’ projects. Our group was lucky enough to be selected to go to the Regional Final! In preparation for the Regional Final we decided to make another bridge out of balsa wood. In December our group went to Blanchardstown IT and after a long day of presenting we made it to the National Finals in Maynooth. We were delighted when we found out we were in the top 1% in Ireland. Then the awards were announced but unfortunately we didn’t we win anything but were still extremely proud of ourselves.
We had great fun creating and testing our own parachutes in 3rd Class! Each group in the class decided to test a different material when making their parachutes to see which material worked the best. The materials used included tissue, paper, tracing paper, plastic, cardboard and fabric. We discovered that plastic worked the best and gave our pencil passenger the safest, steadiest landing! We also decided to test parachutes of different sizes. We discovered that the larger the surface area of the parachute, the more air resistance it will encounter. This means that larger parachutes will fall more slowly than smaller parachutes.
In Ms. Ryan’s 1st Class we investigated different materials to see which ones were waterproof. We used Buster the puppet to help us. We predicted if the following materials were waterproof; rubber, cotton, nylon, plastic and tin-foil. We recorded our predictions.
We tested the materials by wrapping a piece of each one around Buster’s arm. Buster’s arm was dipped into the water for thirty seconds each time. We then checked to see if his arm was wet or dry. If his arm was dry it showed us that the material was waterproof. Sadly, poor Buster got wet when we tested the cotton, nylon and tin-foil as these are not waterproof. We would not recommend using these materials when making a raincoat.
Sound is an energy, caused by vibrations that makes sound waves.
We completed a dancing rice experiment to see sound vibrations. We made ‘String telephones’ to hear sound waves.
We investigated which material would be the best sound insulator. We measured how far away from the sound we needed to walk before the sound disappeared when blocked by each material. We predicted that the cardboard box would be the best sound insulator and we were right!
Some materials allow sound to pass through them easily. Other materials absorb sound.