Check out the video of the amazing science experiments carried out at home by our pupils. Well done everyone!
This week Sixth Class had to put their engineering caps on and complete the EGG DROP CHALLENGE!!
The objective was to design a landing craft that would protect an egg from cracking or breaking from a high fall. Each student had to design, build and test their landing craft for homework. They made them using a variety of materials, such as, show boxes, pillows, plastic bags and popcorn. Many students also made parachutes and wings to help their landing craft.
We had great fun testing them and checking to see whether our eggs ‘survived’ the drop. In the end, we only broke three eggs!
Have a look at some of our EGG-CELLENT landing crafts!
During Engineers Week 2020 , first class were set the challenge of designing an escape route for Rapunzel. They used the engineering design process to firstly think about and then draw a plan of their ideas. After that they used some of the classroom equipment to build their ideas in groups. Take a look at some of our ideas and inventions!
We had a great day at the Science Exhibition. There were some fantastic projects on display showcasing the hard work done by all classes.
We constructed a Geodesic Dome in class. First, we made 3D structures using toothpicks and Plasticine to see which structure would be the strongest to use. We found that triangular structures worked best. We made lots of triangles using rolled newspaper and taped them together. We had to make sure that each one was the same length. We attached an oxygen supply to our Dome. We found out lots of fun facts about life on the moon!
Sixth class were busy this week designing and making their own electric quiz. They had learned about circuits last week and put that knowledge into practice to make their own quiz. Fourth class had the opportunity to have a go at the quiz!
Equipment- 3 balloons, 3 straws, plastic bottle, scissors, glue and sellotape. (Rubber Glove)
- Cut plastic bottle in half using scissors.
- Cut straws and glue together.
- Secure balloon to end of each straw with tape.
- Make hole in lid and put straw through and secure.
- Cut other balloon in half and tape to the bottom of bottle.
Result- When we pulled the balloon at the bottom of the bottle it did not work. We replaced it with a rubber glove. When we pulled the glove down the balloons expanded.
Conclusion- When we breathe (inhale) the diaphragm pulls down making the chest expand. This causes air to be sucked into the lungs. When the diaphragm relaxes the air is pushed out of the lungs (exhale).
The teddy bears in Junior Infants were delighted that a team of architects and engineers designed and built them some lovely new homes. Watch out Dermot Bannon!
This year in 6th class for the RDS Science Blast we decided to investigate pulley systems. First we made a single fixed pulley system but discovered that it made no difference to the weight. Then we made a multiple fixed pulley system. We calculated that there was a mechanical advantage of 1.8 with this method. Next we made a multiple pulley system using a movable pulley and a fixed pulley. This had the biggest mechanical advantage 3. Finally we wanted make a structure used in everyday life so we decided on a crane. We made the crane out of modelling wood and used 3 fixed pulleys and 1 moveable pulley. We also made a handle out of an old pencil which attaches to the pulleys and makes the crane work when you wind it. We really enjoyed doing this project.
For ‘Engineering Week 2019’, we have been learning about different types of engineers and their various roles.
After discovering some really interesting facts, we were tasked with an engineering challenge of our own!
We had to work as an engineer to design and construct a rubber band powered car.
We began by exploring our materials (cardboard, axles, wheels, elastic band, paper clip) and planning our design.
Then we moved onto the construction stage. This involved folding the cardboard into a box shape (also known as a chassis) and fitting the axles through the front and rear holes on the chassis. Next, we had to fit wheels to the end of each axel. Finally, we had to wrap the rubber band around the rear axle and then attach the rubber band to a fixed position on the front axle of the car.
Although we found it rather difficult to fit the rubber bands, we eventually managed to complete the design.
The final part of our challenge required us to test the rubber band car.
To do so ,we hand to wind up the real axle that was attached to the rubber band and then let it go. This caused the car to move forward.
When you wind up the car’s axle you stretch the rubber band and store potential energy. When you release it the rubber band starts to unwind, and the potential energy is converted to kinetic energy as the car is propelled forward.