The Globe Project – 5th Class Room 7

This year, as part of the GLOBE initiative, our class has been examining the weather in the school environment. We have been analysing clouds and measuring the amount of Particulate Matter (PM) in the air using our cloud charts and the Calitoo instrument. We have also been measuring the amount of rainfall using our rain gauge and examining the temperature and barometric pressure using a thermometer and a barometer. Every time we completed our analysis, we recorded the data onto the GLOBE website.

Some students in our class made a homemade thermometer and barometer to see if they could be used as an accurate way of reading the temperature and the barometric pressure. We compared our results to the actual readings on the thermometer and barometer in our instrument shelter.

This year, we were given special test tubes which measured the amount of nitrogen dioxide (NO2) in the school environment. Nitrogen dioxide is generated when nitrogen from the car engine mixes with oxygen in the air. We chose to place these test tubes in three locations around the school. These locations were; the school gate, the staff car park and the school garden. We made predictions about which location we felt would have the most and least amount of NO2.

Results:

School gate: 26. 85 (µg/m3)

Staff car park: 24.85 (µg/m3)

School garden: 20.92 (µg/m3)

Our predictions were correct!

NO2 concentration (µg/m3) Description
50 + Extremely bad
45 – 50 Very bad
40 to 45 Bad
35 – 40 Substandard
30 – 35 Mediocre
25 – 30 Average
20 – 25 Pretty good
15 to 20 Good
10 to 15 Very good
0-10 Excellent

From there, we decided to complete a project on acid rain as our research told us that nitrogen oxides are present in acid rain. We completed 3 experiments.

Acid Attack: This involved us placing 5 bean seeds on damp cotton wool which were on two jam jar lids. Each day, a student from our class sprinkled both lids with  water and poured lemon juice on just one of the lids (labelled acid rain). This was used to show how acid rain affects vegetation.

We also took a piece of cement and placed it in a jar of vinegar to show the affect of acid rain on buildings.

Acid Rain Indicator:  This involved us making an acid indicator from red cabbage. We tested the rainwater in our school environment. We compared our results to a jam jar with baking soda and a jam jar with vinegar. This enabled us to identify whether the rain water was acidic.

The Water Cycle: We placed a food bag with some water out on the window sill in the sunshine which demonstrated how acid rain is made and falls.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Results: 

Acid Attack: The beans on the lid labelled acid rain were more eroded than the beans which had no lemon juice on them.

Acid Rain Indicator:  The acid jar turned a pink colour and the base jar turned a light purple. The rainwater in our environment was neutral as the colour of the indicator did not change.

The Water Cycle: This demonstrated how acid rain is made and falls to the ground through the water cycle.

 

Geo-domes in 2nd class

We constructed a Geodesic Dome in class. First, we made 3D structures using toothpicks and Plasticine to see which structure would be the strongest to use. We found that triangular structures worked best. We made lots of triangles using rolled newspaper and taped them together. We had to make sure that each one was the same length. We attached an oxygen supply to our Dome. We found out lots of fun facts about life on the moon!

Parachutes & Helicopters in Room 6:

We explored gravity and air resistance by designing and making our own parachutes and paper helicopters.

First, we watched Felix Baumgartner’s skydive from Space and discussed what forces we could see in action.

We then designed our own parachutes and landing crafts for an egg. We wanted to see if we could land them safely without cracking the egg. We used a range of materials to create our parachutes. Three out of six of our parachutes were successful!

Here are some of our designs and parachutes:

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

We also created paper helicopters. We dropped them from the same height repeatedly. We found the average time it took for them to fall. Then, each group adapted their helicopter to see if they could increase the time spent in the air.

Here is what our paper helicopters originally looked like:

Picture1

Lung Experiment- 4th Class Room 8

Lung Experiment

Equipment- 3 balloons, 3 straws, plastic bottle, scissors, glue and sellotape. (Rubber Glove)

Method

  1. Cut plastic bottle in half using scissors.
  2. Cut straws and glue together.
  3. Secure balloon to end of each straw with tape.
  4. Make hole in lid and put straw through and secure.
  5. Cut other balloon in half and tape to the bottom of bottle.

Result- When we pulled the balloon at the bottom of the bottle it did not work. We replaced it with a rubber glove. When we pulled the glove down the balloons expanded.

Conclusion- When we breathe (inhale) the diaphragm pulls down making the chest expand. This causes air to be sucked into the lungs. When the diaphragm relaxes the air is pushed out of the lungs (exhale).

Junior Infant Engineers

The teddy bears in Junior Infants were delighted that a team of architects and engineers designed and built them some lovely new homes. Watch out Dermot Bannon!