What is Sound? sound is vibrations.
sound and vibrations can travel through many different materials.
- Sound can travel through solids, like metal, stone or wood.
- Sound can travel through liquids, like water.
- Sound can travel through gasses, like air.
Sound can travel better through some materials than others.
- Sound vibrations travel very well along metal pipes.
Pitch of a Sound
The pitch of a sound is how or low the sound is.
A high sound has a high pitch and a low sound has a low pitch.
- A short string gives a higher-pitched than a long string when they are plucked.
- A tight drum skin gives a higher-pitched sound than a loose drum skin.
- A recorder blown hard makes a loud sound.
- A guitar plucked hard makes a loud sound.
- A pianos keys pressed hard makes a loud sound.
- A recorder blown gently makes a soft sound.
- A guitar plucked gently makes a soft sound.
- a pianos keys pressed gently makes a soft sound.
Sound can’t travel through a completely empty space (a vacuum), which has nothing, not even air, in it. If there is a vacuum between a sound-making object and our ears, we won’t be able to hear the sound.