DID YOU KNOW??
- Magnets have two poles north and south.
- Magnets are only attracted to certain types of metal like nickel, cobalt and iron.
- Opposite poles like north and south are attracted to each other
- Like poles – south and south repel each other.
In 2nd class we carried out investigations using magnets during science week.
- First we made our predictions. We guessed which materials would be attracted to the magnets and which would not.
- In pairs we tested the materials with the magnets.
I found out that on the magnet there will be a north and south pole. I found out the metals that magnets are attracted to are iron, nickle and cobalt. I also found out that the magnet is attracted to coins, staples and paper clips. The tinfoil did not stick to the magnet but I think that was because my magnet was not strong enough.
I found out that some magnets aren’t as strong as other magnets. The magnet that I had the coin was not attracted to it. Staples and paper clips were attracted to the magnet.